Café Saturnus: To go or not to go?
Many Swedes love this place & it is definitely popular. Others think it is over-rated. Me? I’m undecided on this one – so you can make up your own mind…
It has to be said that there are lots of good things going for Café Saturnus:
- There is plenty of room.
- The mosaic tiles on the floor really brighten the whole place & give it character.
- Staff are really friendly.
- Portions are big & the food is fresh.
- The background music is good – instrumental, European, varied…I mean, you feel like you’re in a cafe in sunny Southern Europe. (Until you look out the window & see the snow!)
- Café Saturnus is also home to the largest kanelbulle I have seen in Stockholm so far. Last time I visited Café Saturnus (nearly 2 years ago), the kanelbulle I had was quite dry & doughy – since then, I think they have improved on their recipe: A lighter texture laced with plenty of cinnamon & sugar layers.
The downsides to Café Saturnus:
- They may serve the biggest, but not necessarily the best kanelbulle ever – if you want big, then Saturnus is the place for you – they are really meant for sharing, surely?!
- It gets busy at popular times (lunch times & as people finish work), although you can phone ahead to book a table.
- Standard Swedish café prices, maybe even a bit over the odds (although portion the size makes up for this so it is still fairly good value – that is why we have included it).
- Although there is space, they have squeezed just one too many tables in…it’s a squeeze to get through to the bathroom!
The verdict: The jury is out. It is definitely a good option & no doubt we’ll go again.
Location: Eriksbergsgatan 6, Stockholm
Nearest Tubes: Rådmansgatan (Green Line) or Östermalmstorg (Red Line)
Opening times: Mon-Fri 8-20, Sat & Sun 9-19
What do you think about Café Saturnus? What other great value cafés in Stockholm would you recommend?
Do let me know what you think of Stockholm’s café scene by leaving a comment below…
4th April 2014
And if you're planning on visiting Stockholm any time soon, Booking.com has some great deals on hotels in and around the city. Highly recommended!